Here are some key findings:
- Right now Kindle holds the top spot for devices @ 40% – just passed the PC/laptop in the last survey @39%
- Nearly half (49%) of ereading devices continue to be acquired as a gift from someone else
- Cost of entry is still the top reason people who read ebooks have not switched to a device.
- Among ebook buyer, print is definitely losing ground – nearly 50% of ebook readers now say they are buying exclusively or almost exclusively ebooks/ 49% indicate they either MOSTLY or Exclusively purchase ebooks
- 38% of those indicating first ebook purchase say they started within the last 6 months.
- Half of all ebooks being acquired today are ‘free’ e-books”
- Places where ebooks are downloaded: Amazon still holds the top spot @ 61% – B&N has 20%; Library 7%; Sony 5% ebooks.com; 10% etc.